Sample Position Descriptions
Grant Program Manager
General Summary of Function/Purpose of Position
This position functions as the Federal grants manager for the State Highway Safety Office (SHSO). This position is responsible for the development of the annual grant development plan and assists with the development of the performance targets in the annual Highway Safety Plan. In addition, this position provides oversight for the administration of numerous traffic safety grants and assures compliance with all deadlines. The position provides assurance of performance impact and compliance with Federal regulations for all grant projects. This position provides oversight for the Police Traffic Services and Law Enforcement liaison positions, the Occupant Protection, Emergency Medical Services, Impaired Driving, Corporate Outreach, and Youth Traffic Safety programs. The position is also responsible for the organization and management of the division’s grant monitoring program to ensure that State and Federal regulations are met. The position is also responsible for the maintenance and system improvements for the office’s web based grant application program.
Provide oversight and coordination of all grant activities for traffic safety grant projects. 40% of time
- Provide training to the program staff as needed in the management of Federal grant programs and other duties related to the coordination and facilitation of traffic safety programs and activities.
- Provide guidance and direction for program staff on grant management issues.
- Monitor grant progress reports on a quarterly basis to assure intended grant and program objectives are being met and are in compliance with Federal standards and regulations.
- Organize and coordinate annual grant orientation training for staff and grantees.
- Conduct yearly review of grant management requirements and grant application to ensure that these documents are current and in compliance with Federal and State regulations.
- Assure annual completion of all grant development tasks in accordance with established SHSO, State and Federal deadlines.
Annually develop the Highway Safety Plan in accordance with the Federal requirements of the U.S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA). 25% of time
- Oversee activities required to solicit input from State and local traffic safety partners into the SHSO grant development process.
- Review and approve traffic safety grant development plans for inclusion into the State highway safety plan (HSP). Plans must be based on data-driven problem identification and include the required core performance measures, performance targets and evidence-based strategies and show potential program impact.
- Design and direct activities that accomplish statewide performance targets, i.e. recommend training for a variety of disciplines, host conferences, develop agendas, and initiate projects.
- Assure compliance with all Federal requirements and deadlines including grant development, monitoring and completion of grant activities.
- Actively participate in State and national conferences, meetings and trainings for strategic planning and implementation purposes.
Provide oversight and coordination of the Program Management Section. 25% of time
- Assist assigned staff with establishing priorities, coordinating activities, provide guidance, direct and participate in the development of related policies and procedures.
- Supervise staff including approving leave requests, making assignments, conducting employee performance appraisals, conducting interviews, making hiring recommendations, etc.
- Participate fully in the continuous improvement of the SHSO operational and strategic processes keeping with the Department and Division Mission and Vision statement as well as the SHSO Guiding Principles.
- Represent the office and the director at various meetings, presentations and conferences. Make presentations as requested to staff, traffic safety partners, statewide audiences, and law enforcement groups.
Coordinate, manage and conduct a portion of the annual traffic safety grant monitoring process as provided in Federal guidelines. 5% of time
- Oversee the selection of grants to be monitored based on identified risk factors and established policies. Assure monitoring policy is in compliance with Federal standards and updated as necessary.
- Determine prioritization of grants to be monitored and coordinate preparation of the on-site monitoring schedule.
- Direct staff to complete on-site monitoring and assure completion of associated reports by designated deadlines. Assist staff as necessary.
- Review all monitoring documents to assure compliance with State and Federal guidelines.
- Determine process for follow-up activity resulting from the on-site monitoring and assure the resolution of issues and problems.
Duty 5: Facilitate and encourage greater use of technology for management of the Federal grant program. 5% of time
- Manage and maintain the web-based grant application and progress/cost reporting system including identifying system upgrades. Provide training to staff on an annual basis on system upgrades.
- Continually review the internal SHSO grant management processes to assure technology is being used in the most efficient and effective manner. Solicit ideas for system improvements from staff and users.