Sample Position Descriptions
General Summary of Function/Purpose of Position
This position functions as manager of the Safety Planning and Administration Section including supervising staff, directing work activities, setting priorities, reviewing staff assignments, conducting periodic staff evaluations, etc. This position is responsible for oversight of the Federal planning function within the division including development of the State’s annual Highway Safety Plan (HSP) and coordination with the State Strategic Highway Safety Plan both required by Federal mandate. In addition, responsibility for the coordination of State Highway Safety Office (SHSO) duties for the Governor’s Traffic Safety Advisory Commission rests with this position. Finally, this position also provides oversight of the Traffic Records, Senior Mobility, Corporate Outreach, School Bus, Special Projects, and Roadway Safety programs and the evaluation and analysis of State traffic safety programs.
Oversee development, implementation and evaluation of the annual performance based highway safety plan (HSP) in accordance with the Federal requirements of the U.S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA). 40 % of time
- Establish and supervise implementation of planning and monitoring procedures to ensure Federal guidelines are followed and deadlines are met.
- Develop problem identification strategies, including data analysis, to set performance targets required for the HSP including development and monitoring of grants with State universities to accomplish technical details.
- Oversee development of strategies to ensure they align with the HSP and that grant development plans contain goals that are specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and time bound (SMART).
- Develop and conduct evaluation procedures to 1) determine if the State is meeting its Highway Safety targets as set forth in the HSP; 2) make required adjustments to the program to ensure targets are met; and 3) provide input into the problem identification process for the next HSP planning cycle.
- Oversee activities required to solicit input from State and local traffic safety partners into the SHSO planning process.
- Supervise implementation of activities required to complete an annual evaluation report for the previous year’s HSP to ensure Federal guidelines and deadlines are met.
- Prepare annual HSP budget and continually monitor expenditures to ensure funds are spent in a timely manner according to the final approved budget.
- Monitor program revisions to ensure the HSP is kept updated in a timely manner. Ensure HSP updates are provided as required to NHTSA. Ensure that any changes to the list of projects provided with the HSP are submitted to NHTSA for approval.
Manage the activities of the Safety Planning and Administration Section. 40 % of time
- Establish priorities, coordinate activities, provide guidance, direct and participate in the development of policies and procedures.
- Supervise section staff including approving leave requests, making assignments, evaluating and verifying employee performance appraisals, conducting interviews, making hiring recommendations, etc.
- Monitor section activities to ensure the section is operating in an efficient and effective manner to provide adequate support to the overall operation of the SHSO and keeping within the mission and vision of both the Division and the Department; this includes recommending and implementing alternative strategies as required.
- Represent the Office and Section at various meetings and conferences. Make presentations as requested to staff and statewide traffic safety partners and groups.
- Direct staff activities within the Traffic Records Program Unit, the Program Analysis and Evaluation Unit, and the Special Programs Unit.
- Oversee the FOIA requests received for traffic crash data and other traffic safety information of a personal nature.
Coordinate the development and update of the Strategic Highway Safety Plan on behalf of the Governor’s Traffic Safety Commission in cooperation with State and local agency members and other shareholders. 10% of time
- Coordinate the Highway Safety Plan, outcomes, common performance targets and data collection and information systems with the State Strategic Highway Safety Plan.
- Coordinate implementation of SHSO traffic safety projects with strategies identified in the Strategic Highway Safety Plan.
- Coordinate GTSAC Action Team input and participation into the Strategic Highway Safety Plan.
- Represent the SHSO on the American Association of State Highway Transportation Officials Safety Management Subcommittee.
- Represent the SHSO at the national peer exchanges and other meetings.
- Monitor Federal regulations for changes in State strategic highway safety plan requirements.
Perform Division Administration functions, special projects and other duties as assigned by the SHSO Division Director. 10 % of time
- Serve as acting Division Director in the absence of the SHSO Division Director.
- Represent the SHSO Division Director at Department meetings and other meetings and conferences as assigned by the SHSO Division Director.
- Serve as staff liaison with NHTSA regional program coordinator.
- Provide preparation for and oversight of periodic management reviews conducted by NHTSA. Track any recommendations or required actions to ensure full completion.
- Provide coordination of the SHSO responsibilities for the Governor’s Traffic Safety Advisory Commission.