The Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI) seeks an experienced Research Analyst to join their research team in Arlington, VA. HLDI and its affiliate organization, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, are independent, nonprofit organizations dedicated to reducing the losses — deaths, injuries and property damage — from motor vehicle crashes. HLDI supports this mission through scientific studies of insurance data representing the human and economic losses resulting from the ownership and operation of different types of vehicles.
The Research Analyst will lead research projects that rely on statistical techniques to analyze vast amounts of insurance data. Previous HLDI studies include some of the first evaluations of collision avoidance technologies, evaluations of the effect of marijuana legalization on insurance claim frequency and analyses of the effectiveness of antilock braking systems on motorcycles.
- Identify highway safety and/or insurance issues to research, formulate research questions and produce project plans
- Analyze records of over 400 million vehicles to quantify the benefits of lifesaving and cost-reducing technologies and to explain how insurance costs vary from vehicle to vehicle
- Produce published reports and serve as a primary resource on alternative analytical procedures
- Present findings to technical and nontechnical audiences including high-level executives
- Represent HLDI and IIHS to insurance companies and at meetings of roadway safety professionals
- Graduate degree in a quantitative field such as statistics, mathematics, machine learning, etc., with prior applicable experience preferred
- Advanced analytical skills and demonstrated knowledge of statistical distributions and modeling techniques
- Experience with databases and record sets with millions of records
- Proficiency with statistical modeling tools and one or more programming languages (SAS and SQL skills strongly preferred)
- Attention to detail and problem-solving abilities are essential
- Capable of working independently with minimal supervision and as part of a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- An interest in highway safety and automobiles
To apply, email your resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.